Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Off to a Slow Start

Okay.  We're 8 days into the new year, and remember that new plan I shared with you a few weeks ago?  Well, it's still just a plan.  And I've continued to expand my plan, but I haven't actually set any goals yet, and I definitely haven't made any progress!
 
I guess you could say I'm off to a slow start.  A very slow start.  But at least I have 51 weeks to redeem myself!  ...Right?
 
Well, the first part of my plan was to set goals.  My intention behind this part of the plan is to specify things I want to change or accomplish and then outline steps to make it happen.
 
 
So here are some goals I'd like to reach this year:
 
Interact with my kids more.  There are many times when I catch myself saying, "not now sweetheart," or "I'm busy right now," or "maybe later," to my kids.  And some nights after I lay the kids down for bed, I have a hard time remembering what we actually did together that day.  So it's not that I don't want to interact with my kids, it's that I have my priorities mixed up and lack good time-management skills. 
 
Get back on track with menu-planning.  I began menu planning shortly after my now 4 year old started solid foods.  I made all of his baby food and tried to make meals for myself and my husband that I could mash or puree for him.  We also lived way out in the country at that time and trips into town weren't that easy anymore with a baby in tow.  So I got to know my grocery store, I made lists, and I only went shopping about every 3 weeks or so.  I had a pretty good system going.  And then my daughter was born...and it hasn't been the same since!
 
Find ways to cut our budget.  Last Fall my husband and I enrolled in the Financial Peace University course by Dave Ramsey.  We've since then created a budget and keep track of our spending each month.  We've done a pretty good job, and we're definitely living within our means, but I want to do even better.  I want to find ways to spend less and save (and give) more.
 
Spend more quality time with my husband.  Due to my husband's work responsibilities and simply the season of life we're in, we don't get to spend a whole lot of time together.  And we're both bad about not making the most of the time we do have together.  That needs to change!  I don't really know how to make more time for each other at this point, but I know we can do better at making our time together count.
 
Better my relationship with God.  Every Christian can always better their relationship with God, and I am no exception!  I already know of a few Bible studies I'm participating in this year, which I'm sure I'll enjoy and learn a lot from.  But I need to do better in reading and studying God's word on my own, every day.  I also need to pray more.  Prayer is our means of communication with God, and communication is essential to building strong relationships.  Another way I'd like to better my relationship with God is to step out of my comfort zone.  What better way to get closer to someone than to open up and make yourself vulnerable?
 
Get more organized in my housework.  I already know how to do this - I just have to actually do it.  I doesn't take long to create a cleaning schedule, but even without a written schedule, I know what needs to be done and when.  My problem is doing it in a timely manner.  My problem is procrastinating and letting my housework pile up.  Then I put myself in a bind when we're expecting company or even just when I do decide to clean, I have a million things to do instead of just a few.  The key is staying on top of things.
 
Blog more consistently.  If you follow my blog, I've been posting very sporadically for the past month or so.  It's not been on purpose.  I became very busy last month preparing for my daughter's birthday, then Christmas came along, then the neccesary recovery time afterwards, and a lack of inspiration also contributed to the inconsistency.  I really enjoy blogging and have missed it.  I hope to do better from now on!
 
 
There are my goals.  This list is not exhaustive and may change.  I probably won't delete anything from this list, but I'll very likely add more when these are accomplished or at least when I'm seeing progress, no matter how imperfect that progress might be.
 
Now to find some motivation...
 
Any tips?!?!
 
 
I hope 2013 is treating you well so far!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment